Tuesday , December 10 2019
Home > Community (page 169)

Community

Why I March

This post originally published by the Advocate.com. In life we experience moments that can only be described as callings. These moments are rare — when we know with perfect clarity what we are meant to do. Our callings may not yield the results we expect, but they will always give …

Read More »

Unlocking Key West: The Must-See Spots for 5 Kinds of Gay Travelers

This post originally published by Towleroad. These days, it feels like we all need a little getaway. Sure, you could use your precious PTO to jetset to a foreign city or embark on an international adventure, but there’s one destination all LGBT travelers should consider before stressing out about renewing …

Read More »

She’s Yours, She’s Mine, She’s Ours

This post originally published by the Advocate.com. Last year on a lazy Saturday, as I lounged on the couch watching Steel Magnolias for the 20th time with my sleeping daughter cuddled besids me, I received the following terse text from my husband: “She’s yours.” Along with this message from my spouse …

Read More »

Lessons Learned: Silence Still Equals Death

This post originally published by the Advocate.com. This story is part of a series on challenges faced and victories achieved in the fight for LGBT equality. This battle continues, especially with Donald Trump as president, but we won’t win unless we learn from the past. Silence equals death. This was …

Read More »

We Must Fight So Republicans Don't Let Us Die

This post originally published by the Advocate.com. Excluding preexisting conditions. Excluding transition-related care. Lifetime limits for HIV care. Denying routine cancer screenings because you’re the “wrong gender.” Refusing care at a clinic or hospital because you’re LGBT. Being poor but still ineligible for Medicaid. These are just some of the …

Read More »

New large public mural honors queer icon ‘Saint George Michael’

This post originally published by LGBTQ Nation.   Share on Facebook   Share on Twitter Saint George Michael Instagram A Sydney artist and DJ have canonized George Michael, the British musician and gay icon who passed away on Christmas day, in a bold new mural depicting the “Patron Saint of Public …

Read More »

The top 50 successful transgender Americans you should know

This post originally published by LGBTQ Nation.   Share on Facebook   Share on Twitter Recently the National Center for Transgender Equality released its new survey of transgender adults in the U.S., which painted some bleak statistics about the community. However, these statistics do not reflect the lived reality of …

Read More »

Gallup Poll: A Record Number of Americans Identify as LGBT

This post originally published by the Advocate.com. About 10 million Americans — or 4.6 percent of the U.S. population — identified as LGBT in 2016. A new Gallup poll released the findings, which show a rise in 1.75 million people since 2012. To determine these numbers, pollsters conducted interviews with …

Read More »

This Week in The Resistance: From Selma to Stonewall

This post originally published by the Advocate.com. President Obama delivered a moving farewell speech Tuesday, which was followed by an unforgettable press conference from President-elect Donald Trump Wednesday. During his speech, President Obama spoke about the divisiveness of partisan politics and how the country must come together, not fall victim …

Read More »